Pages

Monday, June 5, 2017

Ms & Os

Ms & Os Sample

These samples were based on a draft for a turned Ms & Os scarf using 10/2 cotton and 8/2 Rayon. I used 11.8/2 nm wool and a plain weave sett of 14 epi. Next time;
  • Tighter sett
  • Wider plain weave panel adjacent to the selvedges and tension separately
  • Carefull thought about the colours
  • Long twisted fringes
  • Photoshop how this structure would look as a shawl






Weave structure
Turned Ms & Os
Equipment
16" Ashford 8 Shaft table loom; 12 dent reed; Leclerc boat shuttle
Yarns
Warp & weft: Bendigo 2 ply (11.8/2 nm)
Yarn Sources
Bendigo Woollen Mills PTY Ltd.
4 Lansell St, East Bendigo VIC 3550, Australia





Warp
78 ends, 2 yards long
Spacing
Warp:14 epi, Weft: 14 ppi
Tension & Selvedge
Double dent last two threads on each side
References
Handwoven  Nov Dec 2004, Turned Ms and Os Scarf, Emile Pritchard
Finishing
Wash in hand warm water, dry flat, hot iron whilst slightly damp.
Dimensions
Sample 1
Length  off loom 15"
Length after finishing 14"
Sample 2
Length  off loom 24"
Length after finishing 22 1/2 "
Width on loom 5 1/4 "
Width off loom 5"

Width after finishing 4 7/8 "

3 comments:

  1. To see this draft turned and woven into a scarf has inspired me to give it a try myself! Thanks Martin. Great notes as always.
    Anne
    Wandering Weavers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just about to put a warp on for a shawl in Ms&Os... watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I used to have good notes on how to do turned m's and o's, but now that I want to use them, they are missing. This is the best article I've found on the subject. I'm going to cut this down to 4 shafts, which is what I have done before. I hope I can get it to work! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome