Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Double Weave with Differential Shrinkage






At the Contemporary Doubleweave Workshop I decide that I wanted to try some form of combination of double weave and differential shrinkage. Our tutor Liz sketched out a design for me (see the squared paper below) and I worked it into a draft and plan for a sample.









































I started weaving it at the workshop but with the distractions of the interesting things that everyone else was doing I didn't get it finished until I got home



This is what the sample looked like when I took it of the loom




and this is what it looked like when I had finished it.




This piece will probably end up as a gift for a small niece. I need to think about the colours but I have enough now to enable me to work on a full size version with four panels. I am delighted with the results and I don't think that I would have got anywhere near weaving something like this if it hadn't been for the workshop.


3 comments:

  1. Martin, lovely result! Yes workshops are good to stretch yourself to what you already have learned + it's nice to meet up with like minded people. Looking forward to your next project with the double weave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin
    Lovely to see your finished piece. It's absolutely fantastic. Wasn't it a great workshop. I learned so much from Liz and everyone there. Look forward to seeing more of your double cloth scarves. I still have my 'circular object' on display and admire it each day. I look forward to the time when I have enough room to set up a jack loom so that I can do some more double cloth weaving. Unfortunately it can't be done on a counter balance loom because of the unequal shaft lifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found some black yarn with a bit of glitter in it and I have some silvery coloured wire so when I have finished some birthday scarves I shall try my hand at a "circular object"

      Delete

Comments are most welcome