Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lace and Overshot

In chapter 12 of "... 8 Shaft Patterns by Carol Strickler..."  is #488 which is described as  being "Diamond in lace and overshot from Manual of Swedish Handweaving..."  It caught my eye because the threading is very similar to that in my Ultimate threading that I have been getting so excited about in previous posts. I now know that what I have "discovered" is just an extension of multishaft overshot but I hadn't realised that so much could be done with it.[http://gangewifre.blogspot.com/2011/07/ultimate-threading.html].

The draft is shown below slightly modified [the lilac one] and the two in black and white are some extensions of the idea to 20 shafts.

Having just finished weaving the Lace Shawl I wove a bit of a sample of this lace/overshot draft. Lace seems to work best on slightly less than the plain weave sett and overshot [IMHO] works better on something slightly tighter so it will be interesting to see how this turns out when I get it washed. I suspect that it will be a little bit too sleazy - no matter as the plan for this warp is that it gets progressively close in sett so I will weave a progression of samplers.
                                               
     

4 comments:

  1. Just ran across this - any comment on how the fabric turned out after wet finishing? (Speaking of the pinkish Strickler overshot & lace draft).

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I suspected it was a bit tot loose. I was using machine washable wool so I didn't get any perceptible tightening. I wasn't enamored enough with it to want to try again!

      Delete

Comments are most welcome