Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Waffle Weave

Gosh, I didn't realise that I had not done an update for such a long time! More resolve!

A couple of weeks ago we studied waffle weave at our weaving class (http://nsweave.org.au/learn/class.html). I have enough warp on my loom, threaded straight 8 at a twill sett, for one more scarf so I am going to try waffle weave. The waffle weave four shaft pointed drafts included in our class notes translate nicely into straight 8 threading and I selected the one below  because shafts 2 and 3 weave plain weave which means that I don’t need a floating selvedge.
On the left is the original draft and on the right is the 8 shaft derivation




Setting up the loom was easy – all I had to do was rethread the last two threads on each side into shafts 8 and 9, reweight the selvedges and then get under the loom to change the tie up. There are 5 treadles, odd numbers on my left foot, even ones on the right. Whilst I was under the loom I put in more texsolve cords with arrowherad clips to replace the knotted nylon tie up cords that came with the loom.

I am using a red weft so I have named the colour scheme Poppy.

The frustrating thing is that I got all of this preparatoty work done by yesterday afternoon ready for some serious weaving on Saturday night and Sunday morning but I have had to be at work because of some major problems that need to be attended to. I hate computers!


.


1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
    ריצ'רד טוויל

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome